Blog description

A little blog about my big loves; family, friends, stitching and yep, chocolate!

Chocolate Loving Followers!

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

The Bees Knees~

Dear friends,

Welcome back to my  little corner of the blogosphere!  I have some fun pics to show you today!
First up are some pictures from our latest guild meeting.  The theme was bees.  The ladies brought in things they had stitched or collected, related to bees.  The most magnificent bee item was this bee skep casket which was designed and made by Pam Zolkosky's husband.  Every year, a group of women exchange gifts and every year Pam's husband designs and makes a wooden something as her (their) gift.  After that, Pam stitches all the accessories for it.  I'd guess this was about 8 inches tall and about the same circumference.  It was big, beautiful and creative!
Feast on this beauty~



Next up are other items our talented guild members brought in.  I'm sorry that I didn't get the name(s) of those who brought each item.  But, as you can see, they are all talented!


Fabulous, right?




The project in this next pic (upper left) was our bee project for the day. 
Sharon had her nephew make these wonderful cherry spools for us and she designed the pattern to go with it. 
I think I'm going to leave the pin cushion top off of mine so you can see the beautiful wood and use the fabric to make a coordinating scissor fob. 
Then, I'll use the spindle to hold the scissors.


It's in the queue.   



My other favorite thing that was brought in was this bee skep hat by my friend Nadine. 
I LOVE this and just had to try it on. 
Luckily, she said she didn't mind if I put it on my head.

Wouldn't this be a fun Sunday, church picnic hat?
Yeah, I'd totally wear it~!



 If you ever see a fancy, vintage hat like this grab it for me, will ya?



One of the last estate sales I went to was the home of a sewer and a stitcher. 
I found this small spool holder that I thought was adorbs and it totally went with the little box my  mom had found for me at an estate sale in Virginia a couple of years ago.



One of the other things I found at the same sale were these floss organizers full of
1/4" silk ribbon and silk embroidery floss. 
The boxes were $10 each, I think, but on the last day, they were 1/2 off so I got them all.
Why not? 
This was not all of it, either. 
A whole lot more was in bags, still in original wrap and/or wound on old, wooden spools and because they weren't sorted like these were, they were even cheaper.  A huge bag for $2.50 on the last day. 

Next time I'll show you the shaker style boxes I got with ribbon embroidery on top of them.
They were even more of a steal than these were, if you can believe it!


I didn't get as much stitching in during the Olympics as I thought I would and despite my best efforts, the grassy area of PSS's "A Yuletide Welcome" is not quite done. 

Here's a little peak of it and the floss I'm using for the grass.
A few more rows...
Thanks so much for all the sweet, encouraging and thoughtful comments on my last post.
You are all a blessing to me and I appreciate you so very much.

Be well,
Peace,
Terri



















24 comments:

Stasi said...

Oh my Terri...be still my heart!!! All the bee items are so much fun and right up my alley!!! The wooden beehive is spectacular--what a treasure! Each project pictured is more wonderful than the next--must have been a bee-utiful experience (sorry, couldn't help myself).
Thanks for sharing!
Stasi

Jackie's Stitches said...

The bee projects are delightful! A lot of talent in your group for sure!

Von said...

Love seeing all the bee projects - each one was amazing!
I'm positively bowled over by your silk ribbon purchases - and really jealous! I haven't done any for a long time, but SRE is a favorite of mine. Enjoy!

Susan said...

Love all the pictures of these great projects!

Marilyn said...

What great projects by talented people.
The casket is a keeper, for sure.
Cute items you found at the estate sale, and what a steal on the floss boxes.
Have fun sorting them!
Marilyn

Annie said...

Bee Night was such a clever idea and your members sure lived up to the challenge. What a great array of projects.

Love that sweet spool holder next to the little chest of drawers!

Vickie said...

Wow, wow, wow, on the silk ribbon. I had to magnify the picture just to admire the pretty pink ones!!!

Ann said...

WOW on the bee skep casket--that is amazing! But then, all the other projects were as well. What a great idea! and what luck to find the silk ribbons and threads. You really got a deal--so envious . . .

Peonies & Magnolias said...

Be still my heart is right -- Beautiful bee projects and that first one, the wooden beehive is awesome!!! Love seeing all your fantastic estate finds, so much fun shopping estate sales. Have a great week.

Sandy

Rhona said...

What an amazing bee hive....a true treasure! And as for those floss boxes...wow, lucky you :)

Robin in Virginia said...

What a fabulous guild meeting to attend with all those bee items! I like your idea for the bee project and look forward to seeing it featured in your blog down the road. Great estate stash finds! Go Terri! Where did you get the wooden pieces you are using for your floss in the last picture?

marly said...

Oh the spool holder that goes with your mom's find is fabulous. You managed to pick up wicked bargains girl! But then again, you usually do!

Prims By The Water said...

Some very talented ladies for sure! Plus you found some awesome treasures!!! Janice

Hilda said...

Oh what amazing bee-themed works. Very creative. I adore each of these works!

Hugs
Hilda

Carol said...

Who knew there were so many bee themed stitching designs out there--and all so cute, too! What a fun theme...

You look adorable in that hat, Terri! And I love what you found in your treasure hunting... you have a wonderful eye for spotting these special goodies.

Hope you enjoy these last few days of August--hard to believe September is right around the corner!

C Reeder PhxAz said...

What great finds you brought home. So glad you rescued them on the last day.

Roberta said...

Love all the bee things that where shown and available - WOW! You always find neat stuff at yard sales, antique shops and such!!

woolwoman said...

what a treat to see all the wonderful "bee" collections of your guild members - amazing stuff. So creative! I loved seeing your estate sale finds but isn't it sad when you come across some dear old soul's collection of treasures selling for pennies. I know that is how my stuff will end up one day but I hope I have the presence of mind to start giving it away to friends before we get to that point in time. With no children and no siblings - it's necessary to consider what exactly will happen. Oh well - not right now because it's "happy Friday" have a great weekend - Mel

Margaret said...

It's so much fun to see all the deliciousness! Love the bee theme at your guild -- how fun to see all the projects! Your estate finds are fantastic! I need to learn how to find estate sales around me. I'm so envious! Hope you have a great weekend.

Desiree Ehleiter said...

Those bee projects were all wonderful. Such fun! I love the spool holder you found. I wish I could find estate sales like that around here. Never find anything nice, and most of it is so expensive. Not really a thrifty way to shop anymore.

Brigitte said...

So many wonderful bee related items that the ladies of your group made. You are a truly talented and dedicated bunch of ladies.
Incredible what you found at the estate sales. All this wonderful embroidery floss alone was worth the visit.

C Reeder PhxAz said...

Please go read Jenny of Elefantz blog entry about lunch out. It's just what you were asking of others. Very precious story that I know will touch your heart.

Patty C. said...

great picture .. you look adorable in hats !!!

Marjo said...

Wonderful items. I really miss having an EGA locally. Belong long distance but not quite the same. Love all your finds and That Hat. You have to get a hat like that.