Blog description

A little blog about my big loves; family, friends, stitching and yep, chocolate!

Chocolate Loving Followers!

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Stitchy Stash, Starts and Sixteen Year Olds!

I was in Columbus a couple of weeks ago for work and managed to find a little cross stitch store to visit on my way down there. I didn't buy any patterns but I did get some fabrics that I thought were really pretty. No clue what I'll do with them but that's no reason not to buy, is it? And, just yesterday I got another couple of pieces of fabric in the mail. Again, I have no idea what I'll do with them but I sure do love adding to my stash. The little check fabric is a WDW Straw Natural something or other. I can't decipher the label - it's the writing, not my eyesight! The lighter colored fabric is from PTP called Legacy, the Greenish colored fabric is LL Vintage Pear (this is a little greener than I thought it would be but that's okay. I'm sure I'll find a use for it). The darkest fabric is WDW Mocha and the last one is a WDW Straw. They're all 32 count fabrics ~ I love the feel of the gingham looking fabric - it's got a really soft hand and looks and feels like an old dish towel.





This is my start on The Goode Huswife's Noah's Garden Sampler.


I saw this a while back (can't remember where) and I began stalking ebay looking for it. I managed to find it and got it relatively inexpensively. I got a teeny tiny little start on it last night. The pattern calls for DMC but I decided to change them to WDW, CC and GAST. If I ever get time to actually stitch, this shouldn't take me too long. I'm really just biding my time till my Primitive Needle Hornbook chart and fabric arrives. I am so anxious to start that one. I must do Cape Cod Girls, too! I love Lisa's designs!!!

Finally.... my son Tyler turned 16 on Jan 20th and he got his driver's license today.




I know this is a major milestone for him and one of his best days but I can't say it's one of my best days. Don't get me wrong. I'm happy for him - it's just that he's my youngest and I can't believe he's driving and well, if he's getting older, so am I! He's been practicing for this moment since he was 14 years and about 11 months. You can take your first drivers training class at 14 years, 9 months in Michigan. It's about a 6 week course and then you get your learners permit See how young he looks now? Imagine him a year and a half ago driving around ~ even scarier!. We will put restrictions on how much he can drive initially but we took a big leap of faith tonight. He had baseball practice at the high school so we (and by we, I mean my husband) let him drive himself to practice.

Okay, it's not far and he's very familiar with the route but it's dark, damp and I was feeling dreary. We told him he had to call us as soon as he got there (which he did) and to call us before he left (which he did). And if you have teenagers, have ever known a teenager or if you remember being a teenager, you can probably recall the sort of eye rolling, heavy sigh response we got when he told him he had to call us. To tell you the truth, I really wanted Rob to follow a sneaky distance behind him just to be sure he'd do okay. Did I mention that Rob thinks I'm a little nuts? Anyway, he made it home safe and sound, I'm finally calming down and I think I'll go stitch.

This is Tyler behind the wheel, all by himself leaving for practice. Please ignore the nasty garage!

Thanks so much for all your lovely comments on my last post and thanks for visiting!
Peace,
Terri

9 comments:

Margaret said...

Oh Terri! I totally sympathize with you and your worries about your 16 year old! My son is turning 15 in a month and can't wait to be able to drive -- luckily where we live he can't start learning till he's 16. :D

As for your fabric stash purchases and your start -- I love them! The fabric looks so yummy -- love that check fabric! -- and the colors you chose for the Noah's Garden look so luscious! Can't wait to see more!

Siobhán said...

Congrats to your son on getting his license! I can relate to the scary feelings. Ireland allows people to start driving at age 17 but most kids don't do it because the cost of insurance, etc., is prohibitive. Deirdre wants to get her license--her indulgent uncle taught her how to drive in the US--but she has to take lessons, etc., and the testing is hard. I'm being careful to not mention it at all in the hopes that she'll keep putting it off!

Love your start on Noah's Garden! I want to do a lot of A&E stuff AND Noah stuff. The linen haul is wonderful, too. I have a cut of Vintage Pear that looks very tan, just a hint of green. It's always interesting to see how much the dye lots vary!

Katrina said...

Terri, love all your stash, the linens are so pretty and nice start on Noah's Garden.

We were mean parents, we made our DS wait until he was 18 to get his license and our DD was 17 and a few months :-). It's scary but I have to say I didn't miss driving kids around, LOL.

Deb said...

Love the fabrics Terri. I'm jealous that you got to touch and feel. It's a shame that there really aren't stores around here any longer. And I am totally sympathizing about Ty driving - Nick will be there in 6 months, and it could be 6 years as far as I'm concerned! Love your start and threads you picked for Noah. That should go quickly (that is if you keep Ty from behind the wheel so you don't have to worry! See you Tues!

Carin said...

I love your new stash, Terri! I'm going to a fair next Sunday to search for stash also :).

Wow, his driver's licence and just 16 years old. Here (in Holland) it isn't allowed on that age. You must be 18 years old here. Personaly I think that's early enough. I'm glad that my kids are just 5 (almost 6) en 7 years old.

Tyler: drive savely!

Mary's Stitchin Time said...

Congrats to Tyler on his license. It's a big step for him and I know it's a cause for heartache for you, being your youngest. He sounds like a responsible young man, despite the normal teenage eye-rolling! LOL

Enjoy your new stash, Terri. Can't wait to see a progress pic on Noah.

Patricia Lessell said...

Congrats on Tyler getting his license and all I can say is do you remember when he was a baby and you couldn't sleep? Well welcome back. I love your new stash - I love fabric especially Permin which I love to use when stitching in hand - otherwise I'm not bothered.

Tyler driver safely!

mainely stitching said...

I remember giving those eye-rolling sighs to my parents, and now my eldest (only 11, but they get older so fast!) does it to me ....

Love your GH project!!

Joy said...

Yummy yummy stash, Terri! And thanks so much for visiting my blog! I'm so glad you've taken the plunge. I've known for awhile (ever since we did the hornbook frame) what a fabulous stitcher you are, and now everyone else can know, too.
It's a big day when a child gets his license. My Tyler is now 25, but I remember that day very well. Yikes! That's when the grey hair started to appear and I was bestowed with the moniker "Smother." lol Love the playlist!