Blog description

A little blog about my big loves; family, friends, stitching and yep, chocolate!

Chocolate Loving Followers!

Friday, May 14, 2010

Time Flies and Pictures Galore!

Dear Friends,

Where oh where does the time go? I know everyone asks that but honestly, it really does go speeding by, doesn't it? I have been busy with work - busy with spring garden clean up - busy with well, just life in general. I know, I know, we are all busy. How is it though that some of you super busy folks seem to accomplish so much? I feel extraordinarily inadequate compared to most of you. I can't worry about that though - I can only do the best I can do. Have I told you lately how inspiring you are? Thank you for all that you do and all that you share with us (even if you do make me feel inadequate!). I have been trying to catch up on my blog reading and have tried to leave comments but I am woefully behind. I had to go on travel for work last week and am still playing catch-up!

If you want a closer look at any of these pictures, they are all clickable.

I have a lot to show you - are you ready? First up, because this is supposed to be a stitchy blog - how about some progress on my BOAF, Sally Spencer sampler? She's coming along, albeit slowly. I kind of got sidetracked with my new pincushion and strawberry obsession!



I am stitching this on 35 count Weeks Dye Works fabric called Mocha with one thread over two. I've made some color substitutions but they're close to the called for fibers. I am going to dedicate this sampler to my father's mother. Her name was Texie - how cute is that? That wasn't even a nickname - that was her given name. So this shall be called the Texie Sampler hence forth. I really love BOAF patterns and this one is no exception. I really think it looks much prettier stitched than it does in the cover photo (as do most things we stitch).

The big surprise of the week came from my friend MARY IN FRANCE. Look at the beautiful package she sent me. She mailed it on Monday and I got it today - can you believe that? What a thrill to get home from work and have this waiting for me! Mail doesn't get delivered that quickly in the US - I can't believe it got here from France in less than a week, can you?! Check out all the goodies she sent me - of course, my favorite thing is the pinkeep because she made it- how pretty is that? Check out the kitty threadkeep - isn't that darling - and new patterns and stash! Who Hoo! Thank you so much Mary! I love everything you sent and am just bowled over by your generosity! Oh, inside the little black bag were some very delicious candies with chocolate insides. YUM!!!! Thank you so much, Mary - you're a doll!!!




Mother's Day was super special - not just because it was Mother's Day but because we celebrated Matt's 19th birthday as well! He had to work that day so we had a small family celebration when he got home from work. I can't believe he's 19 and that I'm well.... never mind that. Time does go speeding by, doesn't it?




Sorry for the bad picture - messy hair (me) messy room (oh well).

I've had some fun Goodwill/Salvation Army finds of late, too! Check this out!

It's a shell chandelier that I'm going to hang in the yard. I am going to attach a pie plate to the interior and add a chunky candle for a bit of evening ambiance. For $8.99 I didn't think I could go wrong. Here it is from a distance:



I found these bundt pans for a buck a piece and thought I could use them as bird baths. DEB and I saw some like this at an antique store on our last day out and I thought they were pretty cute.

I just mounted them on large dowel rods and used a small block of wood nailed to the top of the one with the big center, filled them with water and I think they look great! I hope the birds will like them.

Remember the syrup jar Rob got me not too long ago as a surprise for Easter? The same day I saw that - I also saw a miniature glove mold like the large one I have. It's made by the same company that made the big glove molds but it was a little pricey and I wouldn't buy it for myself. Unbeknownst to me, Rob did buy it and i got it for Mother's Day along with a new Troll Bead and the movie "It's Complicated" (which, if you haven't seen, is a must! The house, the decorating the story - all great). But, I digress - here's my little glove mold that is now happily living in my craft studio.

Isn't that the cutest thing ever? The little scissors hanging off of it were an antique market find as is the pink porcelain bucket which is now my craft studio waste basket!

I also found some cute pin cushions and oil cans at the market?

Here are some close ups of the pin cushion doll.



What is it about these old things that we all love? I have loved "antiques" since I was a young girl. My mom used to buy them and she loved them and I share that with her. My dad, does not have the same appreciation for old things - he grew up pretty poor and did not have much. Of course, if we could afford really fine antiques and not the flea market stuff I pick up, he might think differently. What I love is that someone, or many someone's, have loved these items. Someone used them, touched them and there is a soulfulness to them, I think that you just don't find with "new". I don't especially like all beat to heck looking stuff but gently used, softly worn - oh yeah, I love that. The passage of time only makes these things, these objects, better.

While at the market I saw some really cool flower frogs. Deb, if I hadn't already had your gift, and didn't think Dan would kill me, one of these would have been your b-day gift.




Gotta love the cool colors and shapes.

Finally, a couple of weeks ago, I took a road trip with my friends Sally and Sheila. We had a great day together and I thought I'd leave you with this picture of the three of us.
That's Sheila on the left and Sally in the middle and me on the right. Time flies when you're with good friends!

Thank you so much to all of you that have become chocolate loving followers! What a treat it is to meet all of you. I am slowly making it to your blogs and thank you so much for joining me. It is a gift that you choose to follow and I'm so grateful and appreciative. Thanks for all the comments that you leave as well - that is so greatly appreciated!

Have a glorious weekend, dear friends! Don't let time speed by too quickly, if you can help it!

Peace,
Terri

56 comments:

Sweet Sue said...

Your SS is gonna be a stunner, but I LOVE your bundts:) Have a great weekend Terri.

Kim said...

What great finds!!! LOVE the shell chandelier and the bundt pan idea...too cute and I will be stealing that! ;o) OMGosh I love the glove molds! Now why can't I ever find those? Huh? ;o) Sally Spencer is looking pretty swell!!! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

~Judy~ said...

Terri, I am so loving those bundt pans and the shell chandlier. It will look so awesome at night with a candle.
Have a great weekend!

Judy

Holly Hills Primitives said...

Wow - have you ever been a busy girl! Looks like you've been finding some great new goodies and having lots of fun. Miss seeing you, Dawn

corinna said...

the sweet berries compliment your current wip well ;0)

looks like son and mom both celebrated a happy day- fun

i love the bundt pan birdbaths,
do the birds?

Anonymous said...

Love your progress on your "Texie" sampler! Go Terri! Great re-use idea on the bundt pans! Bet the birds will be thrilled!

Have a terrific weekend!

Robin

Unknown said...

What a great post - it's so good to catch up with you. For the first time all week I have some down time and am watching 7th Heaven and checking blogs. Graduation is tomorrow - I look forward to walking and it's great to have all my school work done - more stitching time for me, whoohoo!

Love your new WIP and look forward to seeing more. And your shell chandelier is fabulous - what a fun idea to hang it in the backyard. And I am loving your birdbath idea.

What a wonderful package and you received from Mary - I know just how delightful it is to receive unexpected surprises in the mail.

I am just drooling over all the unique flower frogs - love them!

Have a wonderful weekend, Terri!

Missy Ann said...

Those are some beautiful frogs, I don't know that I could've resisted the fan shaped one.

Love the bundt pan baths.

MyLifesAStitch said...

Hey woman! Looks like you've been busy!

Love love all your finds! That shell chandelier is fantastic! Kudos to you for buyig it b/c it is perfect in the yard, IMO! Great idea!

What a wonderful treat your hubby gave you with the glove mold! Sounds like he is a thoughtful guy. :)

And girl... watchoo talkin' 'bout bein' made to feel inadequate by these bloggin' ladies? You are one of the coolest, most amccomplishingest things chicks out there (love the grammar, dontcha?)!! You are so creative and I think you get lots done - esp. given that you work full time and mother two busy boys (well... young men)!!

And, btw, I love your Texie start!! What a great name, and it's going to be a great sampler!!

Have a wonderful weekend!! Just two weeks for real now!! WOO-HOOOO!!!! Look out Lower MI, here we come!!! ;)

Laurie in Iowa said...

Wow... great finds! I think using the bundt pans for bird baths is a very clever idea.

mainely stitching said...

What a great picture of you and your friends!! Your stitching and finds are fabulous.

Cari said...

My personal favorite.....the pic of you and your son Matt! It's just darling!! You both look so very, very happy and I'm sure you are. Your sampler is beautiful as well. I love BOAF. And the finds....way too much fun. I love the bundt cakepan idea. I think I might try that myself!. Or better yet...punch some holes in them and use as a fun planter... Have a wonderful week and thanks so much for being my friend too! Happy Stitching.... Hugs

Sherry :o) said...

love your frog finds...the green one is especially pretty! We watched "It's Complicated" last weekend and it was so funny! Glad to see your progress on the sampler. Can't wait to see it in person! Hope your weekend is marvelous :->

Sherry :o) said...

Oh yeah, forgot to mention - you and Deb are my blogging mentors so how can you feel inadequate! You are so the whip on the blogging...so don't even feel that way for a minute....see ya!

Isabelle said...

Hi Terry, what a great post you wrote and how many nice news for us! the photo I prefer is the pic of you and your son Matt : you're right when you say the time is flying !!I think the same as you !
what great antic finds !! I particularly like the chandelier : how nice it is !!
And sure, your Sampler is coming along very nicely : great progress on it : the blue letters are pretty nice.
I wish you a wonderful weekend!
Isa

Kathy A. said...

I really need to go flea market shopping with you. You continue to astonish me with your wonderful treasures.
Your scissor frogs - WOW! I have never seen so many wonderful ones. Here I am struggling to find one!
Your Texie sampler is looking wonderful. I love the colors and the name you have given it.

Nancy said...

Your sampler is looking beautiful! I love the picture of you and your son, and I love all of your finds. To me antique/vintage just says comfort. I'm not sure why - maybe because the fact they are still around says someone really loved them or maybe because they are from times when things weren't so mass produced. In any case, I love them!

Roberta said...

Hey Terri, just love the frog finds and the pincushions, I love to go to Goodwill (they are building a new store just down the street from me!! could be dangerous) I think the bundt pan idea for the garden is a great one and I will definitely do that in my garden as a bird bath.

Do have a wonderful weekend. -- Roberta

Margaret said...

Wow! So much news and pics! Love your BOAF piece -- and the strawberries! And Happy belated birthday to Matt! My daughter will be leaving her teen years this August which is totally unbelievable to me! Love all your thrift finds -- those flower frogs are soooo cool! And the glove mold to go with your other one -- wonderful! What a great idea about the bundt pans! Of course my BIL wouldn't be pleased -- he'd want to use the bundt pans to bake something in. lol! I always enjoy reading your posts.

Mylene said...

You sure busy and such great finds, also what fun to spend time with friends.

Have a nice weekend!

Kellie said...

Love your Texie Sampler (that is a cute name!). Also love all your thrifty finds and the way you have transformed some of them (bundt birdbaths!). Have a great weekend!

Sherry said...

You were missed! So glad to you post again! You have some wonderful goodies to share this time around but then you always do! I love the bundt pan bird baths. I got my love of antiques and crafts my mom's side too. Congrats on finding more frogs!

Faye said...

What a great post~~~ I love all the stitch updates and those flower frogs~~~ OMG...I am headed out today to search for one (or a couple..) for myself~~~ You and your dear friends look so happy~~~ And, I know the 19 years with your son blows you away.....Like you said, Where in the world does the time go to???? Enjoy your weekend my friend, Faye

Deb said...

Great post Terri! It's too bad that you can't find more time for your BOAF piece - it's going to be great when you're finished.

Love all your market finds - especially the flower frogs, of course. Really some great and unusual shapes. I think that DH has turned a blind eye on these things now. If I sneak them in he doesn't notice - LOL. Of course what he doesn't see doesn't hurt him. I found a couple more last week and he hasn't said a word! All your other finds are great too. Wished I could have gone to that show, but you know.....dance recitals!

Those bundt pans came out great btw. Maybe I should try that. I don't think that my DH has an appreciation for those things like Rob does though. He'd wonder why I was putting kitchen things in the garden! LOL

Have a good week! And get some more stitching done on your piece!!

Katrina said...

Love Sally Spencer! Great finds, fun frogs :-).

marylin & poussy said...

Hello terri, and indeed I am very satisfied to have been able to please you! For me it is a big enjoyment! I prepare you of new little gifts for soon but fell! Your thread looks like you a lot! I find you very beautiful both! Happy birthday to matt! All my sincere friendship leaves in your beautiful country with your family

Patricia Lessell said...

What amazing finds. I was really getting worried about you because you! I love the frogs too - they are just gorgeous.
Lots of Love
Patti xxx

Loraine said...

Terri! Oh my how I can sympathize with the time flying bit. I don't know where this week went.
Love your BoaF start. such cute strawberry scissor fobs too. (smile!)
Love your flea market finds! The shell chandelier is too cool, and what a great idea for bird baths. I may have to use that idea for my little scouts.
Happy birthday to your son. My time does fly. He is handsome and his mom is so cute!
Hope your weekend is great. I had Jolene over to my house for a stitch night, last night. She is a doll, and I'm getting excited for our retreat in September.
Have a great day!

Melissa said...

What a lovely photo of you and Matt! You both look lovely!

Sally Spencer looks great and I like your substitutions too. I am glancing up at mine as I type - it is such a fun one to stitch.

...and look at all those goodies! I am sure you will be finding more this weekend! Have fun!

marylin & poussy said...

It is still me I had also put a bonine of silk thread of silkworms of color kept silent blue had him(it)? Because on the photo I have him(it) see not it is can have fallen at the bottom of the cardboard(box)? Kisses

Nan ~ Threadwork Primitives said...

Your sampler looks really great and I love your choice of colors. I just got this pattern and thought it looked so cute. Now I want to stitch mine. Thanks for sharing.
~Nan

Pumpkin said...

Wow Terri! That's a lot of stuff to squeeze into one post ;o)

You talk about others being inspiring but look at you! Your stitching is just beautiful and look at all the great finds :o) LOVE all the flower frogs. You must have an awesome place to go to.

It looks and sounds like you had a fantastic Mother's Day and I'm happy to hear that :o)

Rachel S-H said...

You always find the best stuff at SA. The one here is junky. Great finds.

Love the pictures.

Giovanna said...

Really enjoyed reading your post Terri - great stitching and great finds, great everything! :-) Thanks for sharing.

Lana said...

Wow! Great progress on your sampler! It looks amazing! Loved your post, it is very full of lots of stuff! =) I totally am with you on the whole not feeling adequate with time control...I swear there are people who can add hours to their day and get it all done, I am forever behind and wondering if I will ever get everything done that I want to!

Jane said...

Your Sally Spencer's looking terrific, Terri. Like the choice of fabric too.

Those road trips sound like fun. So Thelma and Louise in a way.

Your collection of flower frogs is growing. There's some really lovely types you have.

How nice to share Mother's Day with your son's birthday. The two go hand in hand. Such a wonderful day you would have both had.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Terri for posting pics of Bundt pans. I never knew what they were! I keep finding recipes that are made in them & had no idea what I could possibly use. We call them ring pans. Duh!

Oh & you are *not* inadequate. Come over here & meet me & you'll feel very superior LOL.

Lois said...

I love your Sally Spencer. She's in my stash and is on my 'must stitch sometime' list. Congrats to your son on his 19th bd - a lovely pic of both of you. More great finds! And, what a lovely package of goodies to receive!

Annie said...

Your are really the queen at finding these treasures. The bundt pan thing, the frogs, the chandelie, the gloves.. just too much!

Pretty colors in that new sampler!

You have the most jam-packed posts!

MANUELA ALBANESE said...

the colours of your needlework are really lovely, how many lovely things you shows to us
have you a nice week
Manuela

JOLENE said...

Hi Terri, Love the progress you have made on "Texie", what a fun name, I have never heard of it before. I wish I could go on a treasure hunt with you, we have so much in common when it comes to second hand treaures. Maybe we can hit an antique mall when you're here this fall for the retreat, that would be fun! I collect hands, and I love the little child sized glove, what a sweetheart your Rob is for enhancing your collection. Every time I bring home something "new" (to me) my hubby hubby looks at me with "that" face and "that" tone of voice and wonders what in the world I am ging to do with that. Men, they just don't understand now do they!!
Love the clear fan/basket shaped frog, and the orange and green ones are so fun.

The mother and son photo is great, I don't see messy hair girl! I think your blog should now be Chocolate Dipped Strawberries for Breakfast!!!! Since you love strawberries so much, it sounds like a nice touch. Hehe!!

Your yard is getting in tip top shape and that shell chandelier is wonderful, I can just picture the glow. Soon you will be able to stitch by candlelight, won't that be great?

Smiles to you.....

Dani - tkdchick said...

Your WIP is just lovely and the colours are fantastic!

It seems to be a common thing lately, that everyone is just so busy in May!

La Dolfina said...

Hi Terri!!
It's so nice to meet another Terri especially spelled the same way! So glad you stopped by my blog so I could find you :)
I adore that shell chandelier you found! I'm liking what I see over here and I'll be back soon. Have a wonderful Sunday.
Your newest follower,
Terri
xo

La Dolfina said...

I found we have something else in common... a son born in 1991?
Very cool :)

Myra said...

Wow! You hit the jackpot with your thrifty finds. I love the bundt pan idea - the birds are going to love you!

Anonymous said...

Love your stitchery Terri! What a great idea for the bundt pans! Have a wonderful week!

Karoline said...

You got some lovely things and Sally Spencer is looking gorgeous

John'aLee said...

Beautiful work. And I love the name of your blog. I thought I was the only one who thought every day should be started out with chocolate!!

Vinniey said...

Your "Texie" Sampler is looking great, Terri. I am sure it's going to be a beautiful finished. What a lovely picture of you and Matt. Both mother and son are beautiful. :) love all your new found. especially the glove mold. And also love all your flower frogs.

Have a nice day, Terri. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Terri,
Very pretty BOAF SP!!! Did you use the colors called for? I want to do this one.
I love the way the colors look on the Mocha!!!!
Very lovely blog!!!
Karin :)
in NY

Brigitte said...

Sally Spencer is a beautiful piece. I particularly love the colours you stitch it with. The different blues and the red, very nice combo.
Loevly gifties from Mary, enjoy them.

Bertie said...

Love your post, and all those antique/vintage's you have such an eye for, fabulous.

Glad to hear you had a good mother's day and I cannot see any mess LOL.

Love the BOF progress, great colours and love the WDW linen.

You must have some collection by now of these frogs!!

It is great to have nice friends, you look lovely, love the jeans :-))

Annemarie said...

As always, your post was a joy. Good work on that sampler.

But could you do me a favour? Get rid of that Blog Header for me, please? I'm trying to forget about that guy in the coat and your picture isn't helping...

SiobhĂ¡n said...

Girl, you are the OPPOSITE of inadequate!! You get so much done... you can bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan, and ... okay, I was going to say something fun about how you get a lot of stitching and crafty and thrifting things done but couldn't think of a rhyme... you get the idea. ;) Happy birthday to your son!! Great job on Sally--she's one of my favorite samplers. I love the colors in it!

woolwoman said...

I just saw this BOAF sampler on a NP website and it was so tempting on canvas. I love your version and your color choices are awesome! I know what you mean GF about time - there is actually a theory that time really is going faster if you can believe that one. Love seeing all your creative decorating - you are SO talented. Always love hearing from you on my blog. Cheers! Mel

Michelle said...

Love your Texie Sampler!!! And what a great idea with the bundt pans. That mini glove form is adorable (love the strawberry fob!)