Blog description

A little blog about my big loves; family, friends, stitching and yep, chocolate!

Chocolate Loving Followers!

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

I am Blessed


Dear friends!

Life is good.  Busy, but good.  Rob and I successfully moved my folks from Florida to Michigan.  Their belongings, that weren’t transportable by plane or car, will arrive on Friday.  While the transition for Rob and me and the boys has been easy, it has been more challenging for my folks, as I expected it would be.  There’s a lot to get used to – the different climate (cool temperatures and a lack of sunshine are hard to take when you’re used to so much sun), the noise of a busier household, the different routines, the clutter of a busy, still working family, ongoing construction and so many other things.   The house is a noisy disaster as the reno on the bathroom still isn’t done.  There is stuff everywhere, not to mention the constant dust on the furniture and the floors.  It’s very hard for mom to go up and down stairs so once the first floor bath is done, and the dust settles, their life should be greatly improved.   My dad is truly a saint.  Almost every night, and often during the day, my mom gets very disoriented and confused.   The house, the location and the people in it are a mystery to her and I can’t imagine the level of fear and angst she must have on an almost continual basis.  My dad very calmly tells her their story beginning with how they met, married and raised a family to include all the places we’ve lived and finally explains that she has a disease called Alzheimer’s and that he (and all of us) are here to help her remember, when she can’t.  He is the most gentle and loving person and she is extremely lucky to have him in her life.  She knows this, too.  When I am with her for any length of time, and my dad isn’t around, she talks about how wonderful he is.  She knows she is blessed to have him and I know that I’m blessed to have THEM.  I am truly honored that we (Rob and me) have the privilege of having them live with us.    I am further blessed that my Rob is much like my dad – loving, patient and kind.  Yep, even for all that is going on, life and God, are good.

Here’s my progress on the Joyful World SAL by Matya at Snowflower Diaries.  I have changed a lot of the blocks, as you can see.  For April, I changed the bunny to one of Matya’s free patterns that I’ve always loved but had never stitched.  Since she had a bunny for April, I thought it a perfect time to incorporate this cute couple into my SAL.  For May, my changes were a bit bolder.   I wouldn’t say I don’t like cats but I would say cats don’t like me.  They make my eyes all puffy and red and itchy and because of that I guess, I’ve always had an affection for dogs.  So you might think I would stitch Sophie and Gracie, but you’d be wrong.  No, I thought I’d like a polka dotted cow thrown in the mix to prim the whole thing up a bit.  After trying to design my own, and having failed miserably – trust me, it looked really, really bad, I decided to use the cow from the Maria Tilley chart.  I made a few bad alterations and now have something that looks like a cross between a weird looking cow and a not too attractive horse.  Let’s just call it primitive.  Yeah, that’s it.  It’s Primitive.



Our guild auction was a success and I was actually able to attend and bring my mom with me!  The only reason I could do that was because Julie and Sheila and Meghan and Christina ran the auction along with lots of other helpers.  Without them all, the auction would not have been a success. 

The scissor fob sale went pretty well and certainly made more than past bake sales have but I don’t know if it was the huge success I was hoping.  All the fobs brought in were really pretty though – here they are – I’m sorry for the poor pic quality on some of them:

There are Matya’s cute bunnies, again!

                                                                                            

The fob I made is on the top row, middle of the next picture.  There was a small bee stitched on the back, as well.   

 





Aren’t they all fabulous!? 

My mom had a good time at the auction and got the one item that she fell in love with – a quilt!  The perfect thing since she seems to be constantly chilly.  This is a picture of her (on the right) and the maker, Mary holding up the beautiful quilt.  It is folded in half in the pic so it’s a biggie and my mom absolutely adores it!   The auction was a very long day for my mom and she had fun but by the end of the day she was exhausted and pretty confused.  It was my fault – I kept her there a bit too long but I was so happy to share the day with her and to have her meet all the ladies I’ve grown to know and love so much.

 

Today is my Matt’s 25th birthday.  He has become a successful young man and will be moving into a house, in a trendy little town, at the beginning of June and I am going to miss him terribly. Matt always has a smile on his face when he comes through the door and he is gracious and helpful and kind and I am going to miss having him around. 

 

That’s it for now.  Thank you for all your comments and notes.  I am so sorry if I missed responding to one of you – it has been very hectic ‘round here.  I hope you understand and will continue to visit and leave a note when you can.  I appreciate them so very much!

Be well.

Peace,

Terri

18 comments:

valerie said...

I'm so glad your parents move is a success despite the few bumps here and there. It's great that she can have a supportive and caring family network to help her through her confusing times. I love your Joyful World changes and congrats to your mom on her quilt win! :)

Barb said...

I will be wishing all the best for you and your entire family. It must be a relief to have them finally moved. Your Matt is a very handsome young man! As usual, all the stitching looks wonderful. So glad your Mom got that quilt!

Marilyn said...

I don't think your parents could be in a better place than with you and your family.
You are all thoughtful to open your home and renovate for them to adjust.
Glad your Mom got to go to the auction, and congrats on her winning the quilt, it's beautiful!
Your SAL is coming along nicely.
Love your Prim cow. :)
Marilyn

Maggie said...

I'm glad the move went ok, so many things to get used to for everyone, it's good you have the space for your parents to move in.

I love the changes you are making to the Snowflower SAL. I am way behind, no rush, i will catch up sometime :-)

Take care
xx

Vickie said...

Yes, I too changed the May SAL kitties.
Your mom continues to be so beautiful AND happy!
What a handsome son you have. Good for him buying his first home. So exciting!

Robin in Virginia said...

Your Joyful World SAL piece looks super, Terri. I like your changes. Glad to hear the move from Florida to Michigan has happened; I am sure things will settle down into a good routine for everyone soon. It sounded like the guild auction was a big success. Thinking of you!

Jeanne said...

Terri, I didn't know about your Mom. So sorry to hear this but glad you were able to get them moved. It is stressful dealing with these situations I know...my DH and I have a parent and a sibling in assisted living. It can be heart-breaking. Sending you a hug and hope things settle down soon with the remodeling done, etc. Glad your guild auction worked out well.

marly said...

Yes you are blessed! I would give anything to re-do my mom's stay with us. Happy birthday to a very good looking guy! Wowza. And I think your hor-cow is cute too. Lots of very nice pieces in this post. Hope the construction ends soon.

Ana said...

Yes, you are blessed to have your family with you, sometimes we forget how important they are for us. I love all your changes in your Joyful world SAL, they make the project especial and just yours ;) Specially the cow ;)

Annie said...

You guys are amazing to manage that move and remodeling so well. Tough transition but you seem to have everything covered. Hope all continues to go smoothly. And how lucky your are to have a successful grown son (and just a bit unlucky to see him move away... but that's life).

Lots of bold changes on the SAL! I love each and every one. I've only changed a color here or there to get good contrast. But you have really made this your own.

Very pretty fobs. What a great idea for a fund raiser. I'm sure your Mom will love getting cozy with that quilt!

Carol said...

Your description of your dad telling your mom "their story" time and time again brought tears to my eyes, Terri... It so so hard to watch your parents struggle with this awful disease--especially when you remember what vital and active and intelligent people they once were. You, Rob, your boys, and your Dad are truly selfless and I hope and pray that all goes well with the transition from FL to the cold north.

Amazing that you have had any stitching time at all with the move, work, etc!! Nice blocks--I so love those hand-holding bunnies :) And the fobs are fabulous...

Enjoy each special moment with your mom--you are both very blessed :)

Jackie's Stitches said...

I was also touched by your fathers devotion to your mom and his telling their story to her. So very sweet and loving. My dad is cold all the time like your mom and I bought him a heated lap quilt. He LOVES it. He's still using it even though it's now in the 80s/90s here.

Isabelle said...

What a beautiful post Terri !! I am sure your parents will be so happy with you and I think you offer them the best tenderness place.
Your auction is a true success.
Have a wonderful week,
Greeting,
Isa

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Lots of changes and adjustments for everyone. Your father is truly a saint. Congratulations to your son.

laceystitcher said...

So glad things have gone well with moving your parents. Love the pics of the beautiful scissor fobs; so pretty! Hang in there! Happy stitching and spending time with your loved ones...............

Pam

woolwoman said...

oh my sweet Terri - how I admire you and Rob for what you are doing with your folks.
I know how much of a personal sacrifice this must be and you are to be commended for your generosity. Your description of how your father handles your mom's utter confusion over the situation is so dear and sweet. The owner of our company in his mid 80's deals with his wife's Alzheimer's in much the same way. Very patient, gentle and caring to the point of his own personal well being. We all worry about him. I'm glad to hear they are moved but yes they will miss sunny Florida especially in the wintertime. I love your SAL piece - how fun! you have always been so creative with changes. I love that your mom got the quilt - I think I saw that photo on FB. Take care of yourself my friend and I hope you have a lovely Spring - here in the deep south - we're already in the upper 80's. Stitching time!
Hugs Mel

Margaret said...

So glad to hear the move worked out for everyone. I do hope your mother settles in well. Your father and Rob sound like wonderful men! And you are pretty wonderful too! Love your Snowflower pieces! Love all the fobs too. That quilt your mother bought is beautiful as well! All the best to your family as you all get used to the new circumstances. And happy 25th to your Matt! A wonder young man!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Very Busy lady and lots on your plate. Love your scissors fob as I have a little 'thing' for bees. I think it is lovely to have your mom join you in such an outing; the smile on her face says it all. My older daughter is an LPN at a home for women with Alzheimer's; it is hard work but she loves it and is very dedicated. I admire her for it.
Continued Happy Stitching!