Blog description

A little blog about my big loves; family, friends, stitching and yep, chocolate!

Chocolate Loving Followers!

Thursday, March 24, 2016

Traveling Bags







Dear friends,
     Have you made anything out of an Altoid's tin? 

I've seen so many clever ideas, have wanted to do it for a long time and finally did!  I found this great tutorial for a little suitcase tin which you can find it here on the Graphics Fairy website.  My old Sucrets tin was not embossed on top but I added the foam, as per the tutorial, to give it some added dimension.  I am really happy with how this turned out and will use it to house my needles, small scissors and needle minders.  The tiny tacks were buttons, which I cut the shank off of and the lock is a tiny shield from a 1941 bowling medal I had picked up at an estate sale.






Layering the alcohol paints on the bright blue metal really helped give the metal edges a warm and worn vintage look.


Inside, a lovely Robin and a flower button.






It's not perfect but it was so fun to do that I made two more.


Making them is kind of addictive.







The one on the bottom is an Altoids tin and after the paint and mod podge, it doesn't close quite as easily as the Sucrets tins.  
Do they even make Sucrets in a tin anymore?
They take longer than you might think to make but I think the results are wonderful.
So, tell me, will you try this?
 I am trying to organize our guild auction which is on May 1st.  I've asked guild members to stitch a scissor fob to donate.  We will display them at the auction prior to the sale and then put them in brown bags.  Throughout the auction we will draw a ticket and if yours is drawn, you can buy a "fob in a bag" for $25.  We will reveal which fob you bought after all of them have been purchased.  Sneaky, right?  In addition to raising money, my thought was that this might give folks a chance to buy something stitched that doesn't cost them
an arm and a leg.  
No bidding.  
No arguing.
Believe me, some of the beautiful things these talented women make, go for a lot of money; as well they should!
Here's my little fob, in progress:
Prairie Schooler
1 over 1 on 32





Here it is in the middle of being assembled.
Front:




Back:

I stuffed it with lavender from my garden.  
The hanger and bottom will be beaded but I've yet to get to that, as you can plainly see!  The ribbon and bead ruching is taking longer than I would have thought.
I hope this whole idea isn't a total bust.  
Rob will be busy moving furniture, painting and doing other things to ready the house for mom and dad's arrival.  The added wall with pocket doors is up in the dining room and the door between the dining room and kitchen is also up.  Rob has finished the painting and I'll show you some pics when it's a little more presentable.  
I hope my parents will love it.
 I also hope to get back to stitching on Yuletide Welcome and the Joyful World SAL this weekend.  Hopefully, I'll have progress to show you next time you visit.
Thank you so much for stopping by and for your lovely comments.
I appreciate them so very much!
Be well,
Peace,
Terri


36 comments:

deb said...

Wow, those tins-turned-suitcases are incredible - beautiful work!

Robin in Virginia said...

Love your suitcase tins! What a great idea and thank you for sharing the link! I like your bee fob in progress. Hope the auction goes well for you and the guild. Have a blessed Easter weekend, Terri!

Barb said...

What a clever little chest. I will be hoping for he very best for your parents and you and your husband. This is kind of funny. I am working on the house in A Ghoultide Welcome. I just keep thinking of you and the missed window. Those houses are huge. I think I would be tearing out my hair if I missed a window. You just thought of a very good way to share it with your blogging friends! Good for you!

Prims By The Water said...

Your lil suitcase looks fabulous! A very clever idea! Hope you have a great Easter! Janice

Catherine said...

You are so clever!!!

Clare said...

What a love change from a tin to a little suitcase, so cute. What is the name of your header sampler? Happy Easter and some stitching time too.

Marilyn said...

The Altoid suitcase is too darn cute.
Thanks for the link.
Hope everything goes well with your parents' move.
Marilyn

Annie said...

Those tins are totally adorable! You are so inventive. I've decorated over 20 Altoid tin tops with x-stitch, but nothing like yours!

Very cute fob design and a nice idea for the auction too.

Sounds like you are executing a well thought out plan for your parents, one step at a time.

Vickie said...

The one tin I have made had poodles on it. Imagine that! Your tins are super duper.
I am so glad your home preparations are coming along.

Amy said...

Those little suitcases are so neat! And the bits and bobs you used to decorate them - how clever.

Your fob is very sweet too!

laceystitcher said...

I love your cute suitcases; how clever! Your scissor fob is darling - don't you just love making them!? You can never have too many scissors or too many fobs. Can't wait to see the pics of all your activity to get ready for your parents; I just know they are going to love whatever you do. Happy Easter.

Erica said...

Your little tins are just gorgeous!
I keep thinking of things to do with the little tins, but I guess I don't have the patience. Yours are works of art!

Gwen said...

Love your Altoid tins. I have only ever stitched toppers for the tins. May have to try one of these later.
Your bee fob is lovely as well.

Cathy said...

That's a cute idea for turning a tin into a suitcase and so cleverly done. You'd never know they started as tins.

Blu said...

Those tins are amazing! I'm definitely bookmarking that link for the future!

Your fob is so cute.

Eileen said...

Love the tins and have often thought of doing them but haven't.

Penny said...

Those little tins are so cute, Terri! I love all of the details. I'm not sure I would have the patience to do something like that. Pretty scissor fob! And it sounds like everything is coming along nicely for your parents' place.

Margaret said...

The Sucrets tins are amazing! Wow! Very very cool! I'm not brave enough to try it myself. lol! Love the fob too. I like your idea for your guild very much! Hope everything turns out well in your house in your preparations for your parents.

Desiree Ehleiter said...

Those tin suitcases are adorable! What a great idea. I'm not crafty enough to try that myself but I admire you for trying and being so successful. Enjoy your time with your parents!

Christel said...

Toutes ces valises sont absolument adorables. Je vais voir le tutoriel.. Mais je n'ai pas vos doigts de fées...
Le petit coussinet est magnifique.
Belles fêtes de Pâques,
Amitiés
Christel
http://toilesetfils.blogspot.fr

Wanda said...

Terri, your suitcases are adorable! I love your fob idea for your guild. Your bee is adorable. There is something about bees that just makes me smile. You must be getting excited about your parents arriving. Hope you had a wonderful Easter.

Melody said...

Terri, those little suitcases are adorable!! I love them, so cute! How nice that things are progressing for your parents arrival. I hope you had an enjoyable Easter.

Carol said...

Oh, those suitcases are just the sweetest, Terri!! What a fun idea :) Your bee stitching is darling, too...

Best of luck as you transition your parents to Michigan living--don't forget to take time for yourself :)

Anna van Schurman said...

I saw that tin when I was looking for papercrafts to do on Thursdays. You did a wonderful job on those! Brava.

Ana said...

Those suitcases are wonderful! I think I'll try, great idea! Thanks for the visit, I hoe the auction goes as you expect. Regards

Brigitte said...

Oh my, Terri, these little suitcases are adorable. What a wonderful idea ! And your little bee fob will be so sweet. I love the rushed edge you are adding to it.
Looking forward to seeing pictures of the changes you made in your house.

Marie said...

Adorable suitcase! I have gobs of the Altoid tins, maybe I should give it a try!

Cute FOBs. I actually prefer rushed edging but it does take more time to stitch.

Rob has been busy. :-) I would love to see pictures of his finished work.

~Narita said...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is an AWESOME little suitcase!!!! lol Its so cute!
Actually, not only is it cute, but its beautiful.
You did an amazing job. And what a great idea.
One year before Mother's Day, I bought some stickers and papers and things I really loved and I bought a wooden box and put it all in a bag and told my 20 yr old daughter (who is incredibly clever and creative) to decorate the box for me for my Mother's Day gift. It came out more beautiful than I even imagined. She bought some metal feet and attached them to the bottom corners of the box and added a metal lock (all these came from the scrapbook section of the craft store)
So many great things one can make with the goodies they have available now.
~Narita

I just might have to link your page to her. LOL

Solstitches said...

I did once cover an Altoid tin with stitching but it was nowhere near so cute or lovely as these dinky little suitcases.
I'd love to try but I'm not artistic in the least.
I am totally enabled by your Prairie Schooler finish though. I have seen it on IG and a few other places but your finish over one is so dainty - love it.
Margaret

Patti-Rocky Mtn Stitcher said...

Very clever! I made several tins but used stitching charts . I still save the empties just in case and I just love these you have done.

Sally said...

Oh wow those suitcase tins are beautiful! You are so talented.

Love your little bee scissor fob. So cute!

Stasi said...

Terri,
Now I have checked out your blog and am so glad I did. The Sucrets boxes are fabulous, but do look like a lot of work. I love your Bee piece--looking forward to future posts.
Stasi

TinaTx said...

Your little suitcase tins are awesome. They look very time consuming. Love the little fob you are making too.

sam said...

The tins are adorable. And your key fob is gorgeous!

Cristina said...

I love these little bees. I had embroidered them a few months ago, but in a bigger size.
Your works are really gorgeous.

Jeanne said...

I have been remiss in keeping up with my blog reading Terri but glad you are keeping your blog going. I'm in love with that darling suitcase tin and going to print out the instructions to try one. I have a box of various tins that were going to be utilized "someday" so I probably have a tin I can use. Good fund-raising idea on the scissor fobs - hope it's a big success for your group. Always fun catching up with your posts - happy stitching!